Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Re: Your url...

Dear Maria,

Thank you very much for your reply to my email and yes, I will subscribe to your newsletter to keep up to date. I'm also sending this to my usual recipients who also receive my 'reminders', every week.

I really appreciate your response. Thank you.

Salaams,
Razia.

tapproject wrote on 24-Mar-08 10:02 PM:

Dear Raziya,

Thank you for your interest in the Tap Project. Your note is particularly appreciated and I want you to know that we at the U.S. Fund for UNICEF are doing our best to bring awareness to this issue and work towards a goal to make sure that everyone in this world gets access to clean water and sanitation.

The Tap Project began as a pilot last year in New York City on World Water Day, where over 300 restaurants participated and we were able to raise $100,000, which went towards water and sanitation programs UNICEF headquarters deemed most in need. Those countries were Iraq, Angola and Laos. This year, with the success of the program, we expanded nationally and to Canada. As this is our first year going national, we are learning to figure out the best way to allocate our limited resources to get the maximum impact for the program, bringing awareness to this critical global issue, and focusing on raising funds to allow UNICEF to provide communities with the proper tools and access for clean water and proper sanitation.

Please note that we plan on expanding the program globally in the coming years, so please keep up to date with all that's happening with the Tap Project by signing up for our newsletter on tapproject.org.

As you can imagine, any new initiative will take time to expand, and we sincerely hope to make this program global in the near future. We are also dedicated to making this program function properly and to reach as many people as we can in a way that is economical but also maintains integrity and proper execution of the program. In other words, we want to get this right, find the best model that enable UNICEF to use the maximum amount of funds we can raise.

Thank you again for your passionate note and we hope to bring you some good news in the near future. Please keep apprised on what is going on with the Tap Project by subscribing to our newsletter on the homepage of tapproject.org.

On behalf of the world's children,

Maria
Tap Project Team

From: Raziya
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:07 AM
To: tapproject
Subject: Your url...
Importance: High

Hi!

I'm from Mombasa, Kenya and we, at the Coast suffer from a severe water problem which our various water bodies including the Ministry is doing little about. I've suggested Desalination to them via a petition in 2006 (nearly 2 years, now), where I got over 900 signatures over a period of a month, but, everybody who received a copy of that petition have completely ignored it, to date.

This includes the Minister, his Permanent Secretary, UN-Habitat, WorldBank, KARA, our local authorities (Municipal Council), Coast Water Services Board, Mombasa Water and Sewerage Company, ConsumerFirst Network and the major media houses. Not one of them have even acknowledged it!

I've got all this posted at my blog (url in my signature line, below), as I either EMSed the petition to the Nairobi addresses or hand delivered them in person to the various offices in Mombasa collecting signatures and stamps from the recipients.

I also write 'reminders' every week (which are also posted on my blog), and am currently in my 158th reminder!

So, when a friend sent me your url and saw that you're having a tap project with participating restaurants, I noticed that this only includes the USA and Canada, but, nowhere else. How come?

Salaams,
Razia.

No comments: