Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My prepaid line - 041-2228655

When I checked my post box yesterday, I got a notification with a 14 day's notice (ambiguous), telling me that I have an outstanding account of 1114/10 dating back some years and that this 'offer' lapses after 14 days! Whatever that means.

Now, I keep getting these notices nearly every year despite being assured by the, then, Mr. Boriga, that this was settled at the time that I opted for becoming prepaid. Specifically for this reason - that I get ridiculous bills despite using the calling card 0844 for making all my calls.

Therefore, the above amount is contentious due to the fact that my phone line would 'die' for a while and then come 'alive', again, for no apparent reason. In fact, it still does, nearly everyday! But, previously, before the prepaid 'service' was available in Mombasa, one could go round the bend and dry in the mouth, trying to convince Telkom staff, that you'd not made those calls. After all, they were made from your line, and therefore, it was and is assumed that we made them.

Doesn't matter that some of the 'technicians', were/are capable of 'allocating' phone lines to other people. Hence, it would become very difficult for the holder of a number to prove otherwise.

This is the problem in my case, unfortunately, and yesterday when I went to see the signatory of that notification, a Miss Baimo, she was not ready to listen to any excuse and passed me on to a Mr. Farid who unsmilingly insisted and told me to pay or else my line would be cut off at the expiry of the 14 day period....., unless I wrote to them disputing this. I asked him for an email address and he told me that they don't recognize emailed responses and that I would HAVE to write a regular letter! How strange that this comes from somebody who is working for a telecommunications company!!!

I then, went to the the Chief Accountant, Mr. Irungu, who was equally unfriendly and didn't like my attitude and told me so. It seems that none of these people in the accounts section are customer friendly or have had any training in dealing with irate ones like me. In fact, they sounded more like the proverbial mafia.

Due to lack of time, I'm writing this email, despite being told otherwise, as it's more convenient and prompt.

To show how 'efficient' Telkom Kenya Ltd., really is, one just has to see the address at the top of this notification which says that the physical address is Telkom House/Nkrumah Rd. This is shoddy work as their offices are no longer housed at that address. Please, correct this anomaly and then 'threaten' customers with cutting off their phones for supposed non-payment.

No comments: