- Third-degree burns cause damage to all layers of the skin. The burned skin looks white or charred. These burns may cause little or no pain because the nerves and tissue in the skin are damaged.
How long does it take for burns to heal?
- First-degree burns usually heal in 3 to 6 days.
- Second-degree burns usually heal in 2 to 3 weeks.
- Third-degree burns usually take a very long time to heal.
How are burns treated?
- A first- or second-degree burn covers an area larger than 2 to 3 inches in diameter.
- The burn is on your face, over a major joint (such as the knee or shoulder), on the hands, feet or genitals.
- The burn is a third-degree burn, which requires immediate medical attention.