Friday, December 14, 2012

Movie Lincoln: Showing A Hero for Our Times

The Muslim Times | AlislamSubscribe
Movie Lincoln: Showing A Hero for Our Times
Epigraph: "He (Allah) sends down water from the sky, so that valleys flow according to their measure, and the flood bears on its surface swelling foam. And from that which they heat in the fire, seeking to make ornaments or utensils, comes out a foam similar to it. Thus does Allah illustrate truth and falsehood. Now, as to the foam, it goes away as rubbish, but as to that which benefits men, it stays on the earth. Thus does Allah set forth parables." (Al Quran 13:18)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  
Lincoln Memorial – Washington DC

I happened to see a recent movie Lincoln, directed and produced by Steven Spielberg, last week. I thoroughly enjoyed it and just want to share a few of my thoughts and some of President Abraham Lincoln's quotes with the readers.
Our world has changed into a global village.  Today we are in need of leaders who have love for the whole of humanity, like President Abraham Lincoln had for every American, white or black! In his time his profound statement, 'A house divided against itself cannot stand,' was applied to USA and solved her crisis around slavery and now the same quote needs to be applied to the whole of the planet, our global village, to provide solutions and insights for our times.
Lincoln also said:
1. Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
2. Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.
3. I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.
4. I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.
The last of these four quotes, I find perfectly in harmony with a part of a verse of the Holy Quran: "And help one another in righteousness and piety; but help not one another in sin and transgression. And be mindful of your responsibilities to Allah." (Al Quran 5:3)

Read more in the Muslim Times and watch a trailer of the movie:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Muslim Times' Editorial team: If you like what you see, please forward it to friends and family.  To know more about us: click here.
1-800-WHY-ISLAM (English, Spanish and Bengali)

No comments: