Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Kenya Power, it's 'emergency' numbers, etc.,

It's been quite a while that I have written about  this redoubtable company, though, I  have written to them and about them on Facebook and commented regarding their various 'services'.

Today​, I thought of writing again because, these kinds of incidences seem to be happening all too often in this country (yes, country NOT county), and one wonders how we are EVER going to be so-called 'industrialized' by 2030. At the rate this monopolizing company responds to emergencies, I doubt it very much.

It came to my notice last evening that a friend who lives in Malindi had lost power since 4.00 pm. She had tried calling the much advertized emergency numbers 95551 umpteen numbers of  times to no avail. Nobody was answering.

Now, I don't think she's on twitter, etc., and her ONLY way of letting this awful so-called power company know of her predicament was via a phone and that too a mobile which runs on a battery. Unfortunately, this too, has been slowly dying so  you can imagine her frustration. I found out about this because she posted all this on whatsapp in our group.

This morning, I found out that her power had still not returned and her phone was about to give up the ghost, so I decided to help her...

I  called the chief engineer's number which I always call and he, mercifully answers most times. Anyway, I asked him if he could give me the name and number of somebody in Malindi who  could help my friend. He promptly did and I  passed on both of these to my friend. 

She called him and was rudely told to call the emergency number and quickly cut off. She tried these awful unresponsive numbers, yet again, to no avail and sent me a message about what had happened. Therefore, I  called my pet engineer again and told him what his counterpart (?), had done. 

Now, can Kenya Power get this once and for all through it's collective head, please! We, the long suffering public, would NOT bother ANY of their 'officials' when we lose power IF THEIR so-called EMERGENCY number/s were promptly answered and responded to pronto. 

Because, the whole emergency  'mechanism' at KPLC is on the blink, is why we use other means of getting through to them. Otherwise, we truly DO NOT want to bother these 'big bosses' or don't they know?!

Coming back to my Malindi friend; after having talked to the engineer, he in turn called the Malindi KPLC guy and the response was that my friend got an sms from him telling her that her power would be back in the afternoon!!!!

Well, it is afternoon now, so I hope that she will have got back to the 21st century and she has probably had her fridge defrosted with perishable items gone bad or about to. That would make it a nearly 24 hour outage with no remorse or apology, etc., from KPLC. And if it still hasn't returned than God and this awful power company alone know when it will return.

​Will ANYTHING EVER change at Kenya Power...?!

No comments: